After installation of the Invoice Tool, the following quick start guide will take you through the steps required so that users can begin entering invoices and expenses into the database. We recommend going through these steps in the order provided below:
- Complete all Administration & Settings information
- Customize Invoice Header & Footer
- Add Vendors, Products, and Clients
- Begin Entering Invoices
- Begin Entering Expenses
- Review Reporting
Administration & Settings #
Users identified a location for the Application Folder during the installation process and may have downloaded any available updates; however, there remain several pieces of administrative information that will allow the Invoice Tool to work to its fullest potential.
On the Admin worksheet, users will find a vertical menu on the left consisting of three sections
- Company Info
- User Settings
- Version & Update
Users should fill in the relevant data in the Company Info and User Settings sections before proceeding further with the Invoice Tool. NOTE: The Company Info section, including the logo is used to populate the Order Form where invoices are entered into the system. The Tax Rate must also be filled in under User Settings to ensure that tax is calculated appropriately.
See the knowledge base articles for Company Info, User Settings, and Version & Updates for more information
Customize Invoice Header & Footer #
After completing the Admin -> Company Info and User Setting sections, users will want to customize the invoice header on the Order Form worksheet. Font sizes, colors, borders, styles and positioning may be adjusted to make the invoice header reflect your style. The logo sizing and positioning may also be adjusted accordingly. Finally, the Order Form worksheet includes a footer area that users can customize with a message of their choosing. See the knowledge base article on Customize Header & Footer for more information
Add Vendors, Products, and Clients #
On the F1 Analytics tab on the ribbon, users will find the List Management group containing controls to add, edit, and delete information about clients, products, vendors, and expenses. Each of the buttons on the List Management group includes a drop down menu with these functions.
Users will need to populate the Vendors, Products, and Clients lists before entering invoices and expenses. The data should be entered in the following order:
- Vendors: information about vendors is included in the Products list and Expenses, making this the best place to being. Note: vendor information can be filled in at a later time, but may require editing any invoices or expenses already saved in the system.
- Products: information about products or services should be entered next so that the Order Form can be completed.
- Clients: information on clients should be entered after vendors and products. Once client information is entered, invoices can be entered on the Order Form worksheet.
See the knowledge base articles on Add a Vendor, Add a Product, and Add a Client for more information.
Begin Entering Invoices #
At this point users have all of the information necessary to begin entering invoices on the Order Form worksheet. To enter an invoice, users need to specify a minimum of the client name (shaded cell next to “Customer:”), and at least one (1) product (shaded cell under product name).
Additional option users can set on the Order Form include:
- Specifying the type of invoice from the drop down menu on “Invoice”
- Selecting the invoice date and due date
- Changing the quantity of product or services on the invoice
- Including item-specific discounts (e.g., $5.00 off product X)
- Including discounts applied to the entire order (e.g., 10% off your entire order)
See the knowledge base articles on Creating an Invoice, Save/Update Invoice, Add New Invoice, and Cancel New Invoice for more information.
Begin Entering Expenses #
In addition to tracking revenues, the Invoice Tool allows users to enter and track expenses over time and by category (e.g., advertising, insurance, supplies, etc). To enter an expense, click on the Expenses -> Add Expense button on the F1 Analytics tab on the ribbon.
Review Reporting #
The Invoice Tool Performance Reporting Dashboard (PRD) provides on-demand analytics and an intuitive user-interface to quickly keep you up to date on the health of your business.
The vertical menu provides five (5) reporting options for users. Revenue & Expenses and Orders are charts showing trends in revenue, expenses, and the number of orders over time. Revenue by Client, Revenue by Product, and Expense by Category are tabular reports showing the sum of revenues and expenses by paid status. Click on the desired report to update the PRD.
Additional controls are located across the top of the PRD.
- Paid Status: used to change which invoices and expenses are shown on the Revenue & Expense chart and Orders chart. The default value for this drop down menu is Paid.
- Date Range: the invoice tool has 19 preset date ranges available to quickly review different time periods (e.g., last year, last quarter, last month, etc.). A custom date range is also available in this drop down menu for users needing greater flexibility.
- From: For the selected date range, displays the starting date for data included in the PRD. If Date Range is set to Custom, clicking on this date will display a calendar widget for users to specify a start date.
- To: For the selected date range, displays the ending date for data included in the PRD. If Date Range is set to Custom, clicking on this date will display a calendar widget for users to specify an end date.